Thursday, February 13, 2014

World's Worst Public Transit

I came across this the other day, and while it's far from scientific, it is a reminder that even on the worst of days, even in the least public-transit friendly of America's large cities, it still could be worse. 


Furthermore, I think it provided a nice summary of some transit systems with which I was not familiar. I also thought it rather interesting how there are some common problem themes with the major complaints people had about transit systems, those being:

1. Doesn't run far enough out or connect to destination locations
2. Doesn't have extensive hours
3. Problems with drivers or bureaucracy 

This contrast the international systems highlighted, most of which seem to have problems with excessive crowds and unsafe systems. 

Above all else, this article just made me really nostalgic and thankful for the Chicago L system. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow I had No Idea Boston was That bad. The Rest make sense but I wouldnt knock the Manilla system till you try it they are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just how bad does it suck? Let me count the ways ... And I mean the article, not the transit systems.

    First, I know nothing of the "top" three. I have some familiarity with Boston (having been a regular passenger for too short a time) and Toronto, where my sister lives.

    Second, judging an entire transit system by the comments of some guys on a car website may not be the most accurate way to make a decision! :-)

    I'll start with one that I've only read about: LA. Metro has 87 miles of rail including 18 or so in their heavy-rail subway. So "too short" isn't accurate. The trains may not go to the right places (I've never been there) but 300,000 people per day are going *somewhere*. Then their bus service is huge with Metro Locals that stop everywhere, Metro Rapids that don't stop everywhere so are faster, Metro Expresses on a couple of the freeways that hardly stop anywhere between origin and destination, and Metro Liners which, though they are silly-looking light-rail wannabes, provide bus rapid transit (meaning dedicated right of way). As for density, if you look at the list of cities in the USA by density you won't find the *City* of Los Angeles listed but you sure find a lot of the cities that make up Los Angeles *County*.

    So the LA comments are off ...

    Wow - did I ramble! OK, I'll skip the rest but I'm not buyin' what they're sellin' ... :-D

    ReplyDelete