Thursday, February 13, 2014

Overloaded Bikes in China's Cities

I studied abroad in China a few summers ago, and one thing that always astounded me was how people managed to travel miles across the city carting an incredible amount of people or cargo on a bicycle. You cannot fathom how frequently you see people like those in the photographs in the link below attempting to dart in and out of chaotic traffic at what are really pretty impressive speeds considering the loads they carry. After seeing this, it makes me pretty committed to biking as a method of transportation, because if these people can carry as much as they do, I feel like I can handle a bag of groceries or two for a couple miles. 

2 comments:

  1. This is like one of those net memes - "your excuse is invalid". Makes me a little sheepish that I don't ride my own bike more. But only a little. I thought at first that maybe these were photo-illustrations where the artist had embellished a photo, but from poking around on M. Delorme's site it appears that they are, simply, photographs. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I'm really curious as to how long one would have to practice in order to balance such a supply load..? I'm sure that these people, if given the opportunity to use a truck or other mode of transporting their goods, would stick to their bicycle because it is their way of life that they have worked towards.

    ReplyDelete